Tuesday, February 7, 2012

We're All Human

So lately, I've found myself being incredibly hard on myself.  I am continually thinking about how I can become better and tend to focus more on my faults and weaknesses than my strengths.  However, when I think about other people, I notice only the positives and am always trying to point out their strengths and am trying to encourage them and tell them that their ideas/image of themselves isn't what the world sees.  I realized this weekend that when I was asked to write 5 things that I liked about someone I appreciate/admire/care about, the only problem that I had was confining their traits to only 5!  But I when I was asked to write down 5 things I like about myself, I struggled to write anything and I know I wasn't alone.  This has become a huge wake-up call to me.  As a society, we are constantly trying to better ourselves, which isn't bad in moderation, but once your 'faults' overwhelm your strengths, something is wrong.
We're constantly told not to judge others, and to recognize that people are just human afterall and that no one is perfect.  However, we hold ourselves to a standard of perfection, or near perfection.  What we need to recognize is that this is unattainable in this life.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everyone shouldn't work out faults that they have.  I'm saying that people (myself included) need to stop focusing on their own faults and recognize how incredible they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment